As part of the Tech-Ship Program, which is a platform leveraging the wealth of research talents and outcomes at HKUST to bridge together faculty technologies and student entrepreneurship, the "TECH Talk: Unveiling Faculty Technologies for Entrepreneurship" (TECH Talk) will invite faculty members to introduce their technologies to students who are passionate about exploring technology entrepreneurship opportunities.
1. "TECH Talk" Details
- Date & Time: 2 March 2021 (Tue), 2:30pm - 5:00pm
- Format: Each faculty member will give a 15-minute presentation about his/her technology/ research output, followed by a 5-minute Q&A session
- Venue: Online @ Zoom (Click here to join) Passcode: 727222
- The presentation list of technologies/ research output is as below:
1. Prof. Karl TSIM (LIFS) - Chinese Medicine in Cosmetics Development
2. Prof. Jiang XU (ECE) - Rejuvenate Computing with Photonics
3. Prof. Wai Ho MOW (ECE) - From warehouse robots to thermal-imaging shopping-mall robots
4. Prof. Hongyu YU (MAE) - Sensors and Soft Electronics
5. Dr. Xiaopu ZHOU (LIFS) - Genetic Test for Prediction of Alzheimer's Disease Risk
6. Prof. Winnie Leung (ISD) - Education Robotics
7. Prof. Baoling Huang (MAE) - Inorganic Radiative Cooler
8. Prof. Brian Mak (CSE) - Sound of Silence: Turning silent video to intelligible speech
2. Who should take part?
- Faculty members of any discipline who wish to:
> commercialize their technologies/ research output developed or being developed and
> invite passionate, capable and entrepreneurial students to form startup teams
- Students of any discipline - undergraduates/ postgraduates (taught/ research)- who wish to:
> explore business and entrepreneurial possibilities to merge faculty research with new or existing entrepreneurial development and
> partner with faculty/ research teams for commercializing faculty's technologies/ research output
3. How does it work?
- Faculty members introduce their technologies via a 15-minute presentation in "TECH Talk", in order to inspire students for potential entrepreneurial development.
- After TECH Talk, interested students shall approach faculty members on their own, in order to share and discuss entrepreneurial potential and partnership opportunities; students may also seek the assistance of EC & TTC in connecting with the respective faculty members if necessary.
- Faculty members who have successfully teamed up with students for technopreneurship development will receive a Technopreneurship Award of up to HK$20,000.
- Both the faculty and students will:
- also have access to the financial resources and other support provided by Technology Transfer Center (TTC)and Entrepreneurship Center (EC) to facilitate their technopreneurship development and growth
- join "Tech-Ship Club" - a community composed of technopreneurs who share useful information and experience and team up for different tech-based entrepreneurship development