Christmas Concert by Alethia Ensemble and University Philharmonic Orchestra, HKUSTSU
Dr. Ken CHENG, Conductor
Sonia CHOY, Violin Soloist
Jeffrey LEUNG, Violin Soloist
University Philharmonic Orchestra, HKUSTSU
1) Beethoven: Ode To Joy
2) Elgar: Fantasia on Greensleeves
3) Tchaikovsky: Waltz of the Flowers from Nutcracker
4) Bach: Two Violins Concerto (Solo Violins: Sonia CHOY and Jeffrey LEUNG)
5) Handel: Hallelujah Chorus from Messiah
6) Bizet: Minuet and Farandole from L'Arlésienne Suite No.2
7) Prokofiev: Troika from Lieutenant Kijé
8) Anderson (arr.): Christmas Festival
Dr. Ken CHENG - Conductor
From 1997 to 2005, Ken was the conductor of the HKUSTSU Wind Ensemble and led the Wind Ensemble in various exchanges. In 2005, the HKUSTSU Wind Ensemble and String Team underwent restructuring and merged to form the present University Philharmonic Orchestra, HKUSTSU, in which Ken has remained the conductor until now. The Orchestra performs regularly -- programs including Butterfly Violin Concerto, New World Symphony, Beethoven Symphony No. 7, Brahms Symphony No. 1 and No. 4, Tchaikovsky Symphony No. 4 and No. 5, 1812 Overture, Polovtsian Dances and Enigma Variations. Apart from conducting, Ken also takes part in music arrangements and is often invited to the training and adaptation of performance scores. He also conducted orchestral performances in two consecutive summers in Vienna, 2018 at the concert hall of the Vienna Boys' Choir, and 2019 at the Musikverein in Vienna.
The Alethia Ensemble was established to use music as a bridge to facilitate communication among members and promote friendship with people of different origins. The ensemble aims at developing cultural diversity in Hong Kong through its performances and by exchanging Eastern and Western views on music.
University Philharmonic Orchestra, HKUSTSU
University Philharmonic Orchestra, HKUSTSU is a student-run orchestra
under the Student Union of Hong Kong University of Science and Technology. The Orchestra was previously known as the HKUSTSU Wind Ensemble, which merged with the Strings Ensemble in 2005. The Orchestra consists of musicians from different backgrounds, including local, international and exchange students, postgraduate researchers, alumni and friends of HKUST. In the past, UPO has been invited to perform in functions such as the Outreach Day in HKUST, orientation camps, banquets, inauguration ceremonies, the Music Gallery in CUHK and the anniversary of the Medical Association. UPO aims to nourish a team of musicians with a great passion for music. We also hope to move our audience with that very passion, for when words fail, music speaks.
- HKUST Staff Members and Students:
Please submit the online registration via Engage (click the RSVP button on this event page)
- HKUST Staff Quarter Residents, Alumni and Long-serving Retirees: Click Here
Free admission 免費入場
For HKUST members and invited guests only 活動只供科大成員和受邀嘉賓參與
No admission under the age of 6 六歲或以下恕不招待
- Online registration is required; each registration admits one person only.
Please arrive at the venue 15 minutes early before the showtime.
Attendees must show their HKUST ID card to the reception desk for identification before admission.
If the registrant cannot attend the event, please change your RSVP status on the Engage page or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org to release the quota.
如登記者無法出席活動，請於Engage頁面更改RSVP選項 或 傳送電郵通知至 email@example.com，將活動名額留給其他科大成員。
DISEASE PREVENTION MEASURES 防疫措施
- A temperature check is arranged at entrances. The audience with fever symptoms will be denied entry and should seek immediate medical advice.
- Masks must be worn at all times in the venue.
- Special seating arrangements and capacity control have been implemented. Please follow the seating instruction of the CFA staff.
- Hand sanitizers are provided in the venue.
CAMPUS ACCESS CONTROL 校園人流管制措施
The campus will continue to implement access control until further notice. For joining events organized on the campus, the members should have a valid campus access pass (CAP). For more details about the CAP, please visit this website.
校園會繼續實施人流管制措施直至另行通知。 因此，參加在校園裡舉辦的活動之科大成員應持有有效的校園通行證（CAP）以進入校園。 有關校園通行證的更多資訊，請瀏覽此網頁。
Center for the Arts
Facebook: hkustcfa / Instagram: hkustArts / Youtube: The HKUST Center for the Arts
Shaw Auditorium Unit
The HKUST Center for the Arts