The Bridge Gap Fund (“BGF”) is established with the support of the Funding from HKUST, the Knowledge Transfer Earmarked Grant from the Hong Kong Government as well as other resources. The BGF is jointly introduced by the Office of Knowledge Transfer (OKT) and the Technology Transfer Center (TTC).
- BGF is to strengthen the commercialization of HKUST technology for licensing technology to industry, forming technology start-up companies, industry collaboration or application to funding with industry partnership.
- BGF aims to translate HKUST’s research outcomes into viable intellectual property to attract and motivate industry partners to work with HKUST to create commercial and societal impact.
Form of Funding Support
- Each approved project will typically receive funding support of up to HK$0.25M for “Seed Project Support Scheme” and up to HK$0.5M for “IP Commercialization Scheme”.
- Funding support is to fund eligible activities within the project (refer to Guideline) for up to twelve (12) months (from the project commencement date) with tangible deliverables. Unexpended balance must be returned to HKUST.
- The awarded BGF projects that can develop highly visible and interactive educational components for HKUST community will have opportunity to receive additional funding of up to HK$0.1M per project from the HKUST Sustainable Smart Campus as a Living Lab (SSC). In the spirit of using the campus as a “living lab,” eligible projects must either (1) implement their prototype or intervention in a visible location on campus which can be the source of the teaching and learning components, or (2) install a teaching and learning feature in a visible location on campus that directs attention to the project and its educational features. The award of this funding will be subject to the approval of the SSC Committee following the criteria listed in https://ssc.hkust.edu.hk/get-involved. The SSC Committee shall notify you the results under separate cover.
- Projects should demonstrate the commercial potential and the advancement in technology readiness of HKUST research outputs, prospect of adoption by industry partners, or establishment of startup.
- Principal Investigator can submit more than one application for different projects.
- Projects that focus on basic research are NOT eligible.
- The projects received or are receiving other funding supports with the same deliverables are NOT eligible.
- Seed Project Support Scheme (Up to HK$ 0.25M per project):
- Principal Investigator must be full-time faculty members of HKUST who have not received any funding support from OKT & TTC funding program (including but not limited to PCF, BGF, HBJRI, HKJRI & HCIC).
- Young Faculty including RAP
- IP Commercialization Scheme (Up to HK$ 0.5M per project):
- Principal Investigator must be full-time faculty members
- Projects should have clear background Intellectual Properties (IPs) with invention/software disclosure submitted to TTC.
Selection Mechanism & Criteria
- Project selection criteria include IP strength, commercial potential and impact.
- In considering an application, the BGF Review Committee will evaluate, at a minimum, the following criteria:
- Potential for Commercialization
- Key problem or gap that the proposed technology can solve
- Market opportunities
- Target industry players or startup potential
- Commitment from industry player
- Strength of Background IP (patent / patent application, copyrights, software, know-how, database, etc.)
- Technology and IP development plan
- Level of innovation and viability of deliverables
- Possibility to establish the deliverables
- Project Team
- Demonstration of the capability of research and development
- Adequacy of the team to perform the project
For more details and application, please refer to the website here and the Guideline.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: 14 APRIL 2022